Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Thoughtful Evening

I spent the evening at a family gathering. It was annaprashon of my very young daughter of my Mama. I went there expecting to be bored, but when I stepped out of my house I decided to leave my cell phone as an experiment to see how well I deal with social situations without the luxury of hiding behind the cell phone and finding sustenance in FB or Blogs etc.
I must say I didn't miss fb nor did I miss the phone, I did my customery rounds with the parents meeting all the people and exchanging pleasantries. I repeated atleast a dozen times where I worked and expalined to them what is it that I exactly do. Yet, all the while I smiled. I thought I had out done myself this evening. But there was more as we settled down in chairs with beverages being served with some finger food I concentrated on simply observing and absorbing all that was happening around me. I sat looking at people walk in and out, Walk about the enitre length of the room. Children running around for no apparent reason giggling and screaming their lungs out.
My mother sat surrounded with all my aunts and her sisters and they chatted about everybody present and more about everybody who was not present. I could hear a few snatches of the conversation. I saw my mother and realised how proudly she talked about me, I saw how everybody was eager to talk to her, she is well loved by her family.I saw my father in a deep discussion with my uncles - I imagined what their topic could be. What is it taht my father found in common with them I wondered. He isn't a man who indulges in small talk, I sat closer to them and realised in was a politial debate.
The dinner was excellent, and as I nibbled my food, I can never really enjoy food, I think i am way oo excited about food, just like I am excited about everything, atleast with the idea and the notion, when it comes to the action or the doing I seem to lose it. So, I was nibbling my food and heard all the criticism that went with it. What is it with people at parties, they dig into the food and the same time criticise it, I cannot imagine How the two can happen simultaneously?
I spent almost 3 hours in this evening doing something I thought I didn't like and would not prefer to do, but then I came to a conclusion, that the Human mind can be trained to handle any situation.
I honestly had a good time... and may be next time I have an invitation for a family gathering i will feel excited about spending some calm and relaxing time. Observing people and situations has it's own merit. My friend & guide always says to me to become An Observer in life, I think it isn't such a bad idea, but like all thoughts revealations can only make you a true believer. Today I may have had that revealation... I thought of good beautiful things on my way back, & i didn't worry about tomorrow being a Monday and despair at the thought of going back to work. Is it that I have finally discovered the secret to not being disappointed with life all the time & having the monday blues. Who knows?
For that U n I both will have to wait for the sunrise.

No comments: