Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Revealations

We meet folks almost everyday and we pass them by never really noticing them and I am not speaking about passerby but folks we spent 8 hours a day, at work may be. We just don't look at them beyond their tasks and position. Somewhere in time I had prided my ability to get to know people. I had foolishly pursued a course of study called Human Resource which I thought will bring me closer to people. But in the professional life I became a cog in the machinery and now when I look at people I don't see or feel I just look through them.
Why Am I rambling about this? Because recently one of colleagues reminded me that how much I loved getting to know people and how less I was doing that. Looking at this fellow I assumed he was shaky in confidence, he was too raw for the corporate responsibility, seemed to have trouble communicating, in fact I lost my temper with the wall that stood up whenever we tried to communicate.
Exasperated with all this I gave up!

But things changed don't know how and confidence that seemed to be non existent flickered on, with some helping hand and a bit of responsibility there was a positive improvement. After this I got an opportunity to spend time with him out of office and as we walked on the road chatting casually I got a glimpse of a beautiful person who had had his share of pain and joy and I had not bothered to go deep into any of that. Here was someone who had gone through life with so many experiences and those had left indelible impressions. I saw the impressions only and not the stories behind them.

And today I was made to realize how grossly pedantic my judgments have become off late, how Quickly I judge and brush aside people assuming they have nothing special to interest me. Just when I least expected I meet someone who knows so many different things that my own ideas and opinions fall flat, I am shocked how carelessly brazen I have been in dismissing people. I can't believe that in my high place I have disseminated what I absolutely hate to be done to me, a judgement that puts me in a box which defines me. I have started putting people in boxes marked or unmarked.

Thank God for this jolt, reminding me to look beyond the obvious faults and turn offs and to look for deeper meaning and to discovering beautiful people amongst the folks we live.

No comments: