Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Reading has borne a certain kind of pleasure for me. It has the capacity to pull me out of depression. Books have lost their charm t most people. So, when I splurge 3000 bucks on books, serveral eyebrows are raised, thankfully the archness of the browline to me does not matter.

I have been attempting to diversify just as my work life seems to be on a verge to bifurcate itself, into experimenting with literature.

Karen Rose is a Best seller author about whom I had simply no idea. Realising this I have researched a few International Best Seller Lists like from Herald Tribune and The Times and found 2 authors that I am reading currently.

More on both later.

Recently an article in Graphitti a Sunday suppliment Magazine, spoke about new breeds of Indian writers. I have always had a special liking for Indians writing in English right from Anita Desai to Upamanyu Chatterjee. Yet to have become comepletely oblivious of the literary scene was too much of a shock. Corporate has finally started to immunise me from the Arts of which I was such a proud associator.

As I walked around the Big Book Store I realised how much I had to catch up.

So, an update or two may come this way about books.

However, the reason to have given this the Title .... was less than intriguing, because, I realised unlike a dear friend of mine who has a photographic memory with the capacity to retain whole paragraphs of book he reads, I am terribly short on memory, sometimes gropping even to connect the Title with the Author.

For Eg: I babbled at the Book store about Ken Kesey without being able to say "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Terrible!

Till I blog in again... I have read Karen's Thriller Die For ME! and 2 of Dean Koontz's Life Expectancy, which was preceeded by Life of PI and Kite Runner....

The combination has been lethal... now am delving into Weight Loss by Upamanyu Chatterjee, and feeling SICK.

No comments: