Wednesday, June 25, 2008

love, marriage, books

We were talking y'day about writing letters. You have no idea how much i love writing letters and it gives me immense pleasure to write.


Y'day we had discussed to major issues, one about reading and second about love and marriage.

It is your observation about people reading too much that made me think. I wonder whether some part of my high expectation from life, stems from this belief that we deserve more. But again i may also argue that unless we expect more from life, the drive required to move in this world will be lost. However, the understanding of the difference between "expectation" as a motivational force and one as depressing has to be there. As motivation we must be driven to better things and goals, yet on achieving, or receiving something in life, the expectations should not get in the way of appreciating or being thankful for our gifts.

Secondly, when you talk about marriage and to be specific an arranged marriage , i can only say one thing, it is your ability to accept the concept which in many ways stems from your upbringing, and peers. This difference, that i have from you, is what prevents me from being so optimistic. All around me, I have seen people, from my own parents to my siblings who have had a love marriage, thus, to me it is a scary proposition to go into something unknown, there is no reference, or place from where i can get any ideas, suggestions, or more simply learn.

I hope somewhere i can find it in my dealings to love a person not in the simplistic way .. that is love. Perhaps a greater amount of understanding an empathy is required to be able to love a man who i do not know that well.

I remember reading a book called Midnight's children where there is a point, where a woman falls in love with her husband, one body part at a time. It may sound crazy but to me it somehow made sense. When we fall in love we are taken up or bold over by the confidence, looks, intelligence and all that of the other person. But when you are married to someone and you see that person everyday, and slowly he grows on you.

I don't know whether any of what i said made any sense. Or may be you got terribly bored.

No comments: